FBI, This Week: Countering Terrorist Propaganda in Today’s Digital Era
July 8, 2016
The FBI says propaganda from foreign terrorist organizations is spreading faster than ever before through the Internet and social media.
Mollie Halpern: The FBI says propaganda from foreign terrorist organizations is spreading faster than ever before through the Internet and social media.
ISIL is most successful in using technology to inspire, direct, and enable susceptible people to act in support of their message of radicalization and hate.
Executive Assistant Director of the National Security Branch Michael Steinbach testified before the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Subcommittee on Investigations…
Michael Steinbach: Social media allows for overseas terrorists to reach into our local communities—to target our citizens as well as to radicalize and recruit.
Halpern: Technical capabilities are critical to the success of countering terrorism—which is the FBI’s top priority. Investigators face challenges gaining access to digital communications when terrorists use encryption. It’s a problem referred to as Going Dark.
Steinbach: In many cases we’ve seen concerning individuals connect via publicly available communication platforms and then switch to private, encrypted applications. These apps make conversations more secret than ever before. We know that bad actors have used encrypted communication platforms prior to conducting attacks.
Halpern: To read Steinbach’s full remarks, visit www.fbi.gov. With FBI, This Week, I’m Mollie Halpern of the Bureau.
- 10.16.2017 — FBI, This Week: Beware of Virtual Kidnapping for Ransom Schemes
- 10.16.2017 — FBI, This Week: Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted Report Released
- 10.16.2017 — FBI, This Week: Bureau Provides Critical Supplies to Those Impacted by Hurricane Maria
- 10.12.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Endangered Child Alert Program Seeks Information on Jane Doe 39
- 10.10.2017 — Esta Semana en el FBI: Tenga Cuidado con el Fraude por Parte de Organizaciones Benéficas como Resultado de los Huracanes