FBI, This Week: The Visiting Scientist Program
November 30, 2018
Graduates with backgrounds in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics—or STEM—are getting the opportunity to shape the future of forensics under the mentorship of leading experts at the FBI Laboratory.
Mollie Halpern: Graduates with backgrounds in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics—or STEM—are getting the opportunity to shape the future of forensics under the mentorship of leading experts at the FBI Laboratory.
Fellows of the Visiting Scientist Program perform cutting edge research in areas specific to law enforcement and national security such as explosive analysis, DNA, and more.
Chief of the Counterterrorism and Forensic Science Research Unit Gene Peters …
Gene Peters: The goal of our research is to give the people who examine the evidence the best science available as well as the most current technologies, tools and techniques, so that when they work on a case, they can provide the investigators with the best scientific analysis possible.
Halpern: FBI Lab researchers published 36 scientific papers in a variety of journals in fiscal year 2018.
Visiting Scientist Natalie Damaso, who has her doctorate in biology, would like to join the FBI after completing her fellowship.
Natalie Damaso: I like my research to make a difference. And what more can it be if you’re working for the FBI, and you’re helping solve cases or testing this methodology to be able to solve cases faster or more efficiently. This is amazing.
Halpern: Look for fellowships with the Visiting Scientist Program at fbijobs.gov. With FBI, This Week, I’m Mollie Halpern of the Bureau.
- 02.14.2019 — FBI, This Week: Partnerships Help Prevent Illicit Streaming
- 02.08.2019 — Se Busca Por el FBI: Hasta $3 Millones de Recompensa por Hossein Ahmad Larijani
- 02.08.2019 — Esta Semana en el FBI: Publicación de las Estadísticas de 2017 de Delitos Motivados por el Odio
- 02.08.2019 — FBI, This Week: Celebrating the 100th Anniversary of African-American Special Agents
- 01.31.2019 — FBI, This Week: Trade Secret Theft Protection and Prevention Safeguards