FBI, This Week: The Tarnished Badge Task Force
December 14, 2017
The FBI’s Memphis Field Office is home to the FBI’s only task force dedicated solely to investigating corruption among law enforcement and corrections officers.
Mollie Halpern: With 49 public corruption task forces across the country and three international corruption squads, the FBI is proactive in rooting out corruption.
The FBI’s Memphis Field Office is home to the FBI’s only task force dedicated solely to corruption among law enforcement and correction officers—the Tarnished Badge Task Force.
Special Agent in Charge Michael Gavin says collaboration is critical in upholding the public’s trust and countering corruption.
Michael Gavin: It keeps us working concurrently instead of consecutively. It helps us return justice to the people in a much more efficient and timely way.
Halpern: Gavin goes on to say that a low percentage of officers engage in misconduct, but when it happens…
Gavin: It taints the entire profession. And one of the things we want to do is instill this faith, so that people have faith that police officers they're dealing with are acting in good faith in their roles and under their oath that they're sworn to serve the people.
Halpern: Learn more about the FBI’s anti-corruption efforts at www.fbi.gov. With FBI This Week, I’m Mollie Halpern of the Bureau.
- 08.10.2018 — FBI, This Week: Sextortion Reports on the Rise
- 08.02.2018 — FBI, This Week: FBI Physical Fitness Test App Released
- 07.26.2018 — FBI, This Week: 110 Years of Fidelity, Bravery, and Integrity
- 07.19.2018 — FBI, This Week: Director Wray Speaks at Aspen Security Forum
- 07.19.2018 — Esta Semana en el FBI: Se Lanzó una Iniciativa Nacional Contra la Clonación de Tarjetas