FBI, This Week: The Tarnished Badge Task Force
December 14, 2017
The FBI’s Memphis Field Office is home to the FBI’s only task force dedicated solely to investigating corruption among law enforcement and corrections officers.
Mollie Halpern: With 49 public corruption task forces across the country and three international corruption squads, the FBI is proactive in rooting out corruption.
The FBI’s Memphis Field Office is home to the FBI’s only task force dedicated solely to corruption among law enforcement and correction officers—the Tarnished Badge Task Force.
Special Agent in Charge Michael Gavin says collaboration is critical in upholding the public’s trust and countering corruption.
Michael Gavin: It keeps us working concurrently instead of consecutively. It helps us return justice to the people in a much more efficient and timely way.
Halpern: Gavin goes on to say that a low percentage of officers engage in misconduct, but when it happens…
Gavin: It taints the entire profession. And one of the things we want to do is instill this faith, so that people have faith that police officers they're dealing with are acting in good faith in their roles and under their oath that they're sworn to serve the people.
Halpern: Learn more about the FBI’s anti-corruption efforts at www.fbi.gov. With FBI This Week, I’m Mollie Halpern of the Bureau.
- 12.20.2018 — FBI, This Week: Remembering the Victims of Pan Am Flight 103
- 12.13.2018 — FBI, This Week: 2017 NIBRS Crime Data Released
- 12.07.2018 — FBI, This Week: High School Class Collaborates with FBI Profilers
- 11.30.2018 — FBI, This Week: The Visiting Scientist Program
- 11.28.2018 — Wanted by the FBI: Iranians Indicted for SamSam Ransomware Hacking and Extortion Scheme