FBI, This Week: Using Social Media to Engage the Public
March 28, 2017
The FBI is using its social media channels to engage with the public through online chats, live broadcasts, and more.
Mollie Halpern: The FBI is using its social media channels to engage with the public through online chats, live broadcasts, and more.
During FBI Twitter chats and Facebook Live events, the public has an opportunity to submit questions to special agents and other Bureau employees on specific topics.
Supervisory Special Agent Teresa Tampubolon…
Teresa Tampubolon: Using social media, like a Twitter chat, as a vehicle for interaction gives supervisory special agents like myself direct contact with the public and the opportunity to answer their questions.
Halpern: Unit Chief Chris Allen says the live events can also be used as online crime fighting tools for investigators.
Christopher Allen: The FBI will continue to use every tool at our disposal to engage the public, whether to help solve a fugitive and missing person investigation or to warn about particular threats. For example, this week, the FBI held a Twitter chat to ask the public’s assistance in spotting possible border corruption.
Tampubolon: Border corruption is any time an official at our ports of entry, seaports, and airports uses his or her position for personal gain.
Halpern: Agent Tampubolon participated in the chat to encourage the public to report border corruption to the FBI.
Check out our Facebook and Twitter pages to learn more about upcoming events and other news from the FBI.
With FBI, This Week, I’m Mollie Halpern of the Bureau.
- 11.08.2018 — FBI, This Week: Serving with STEM
- 11.07.2018 — Wanted by the FBI: Search Intensifies for Ten Most Wanted Fugitive Greg Carlson
- 11.02.2018 — FBI, This Week: FBI Combats Chinese Economic Espionage as Part of New Initiative
- 11.01.2018 — Esta Semana en el FBI: El FBI Patrocina Eventos Relacionados con su Programa de Promoción de Diversidad en el Reclutamiento de Agentes Especiales
- 10.26.2018 — FBI, This Week: The Chief Information Security Officer Academy