FBI, This Week: Director Wray Speaks at Aspen Security Forum
July 19, 2018
Speaking at the Aspen Security Forum, FBI Director Christopher Wray described how the Bureau addresses cyber, espionage, and other threats America faces from foreign governments.
Mollie Halpern: Speaking at the Aspen Security Forum, FBI Director Christopher Wray described how the Bureau addresses cyber, espionage, and other threats America faces from foreign governments.
He says the FBI has created a Foreign Influence Task Force to identify and counteract foreign influence operations targeting the U.S.
From a counterintelligence perspective, Wray says China is the most significant and long-term threat.
Christopher Wray: We have economic espionage investigations in every state—all 50 states—that trace back to China. It covers everything from corn seeds in Iowa to wind turbines in Massachusetts and everything in between.
Halpern: Wray says Russia is the most aggressive actor in using misinformation and propaganda to influence public opinion.
He says the FBI is more sophisticated and tech savvy in its efforts to mitigate the threat.
Wray: … much more able to partner with foreign governments and get access to information overseas. And so the same basic character that drives the FBI—the diligence; the persistence; you know, the old saying, “The FBI always gets its man”—applies in this space, too.
Halpern: With FBI, This Week, I’m Mollie Halpern of the Bureau.
- 05.17.2019 — Esta Semana en el FBI: Informe Muestra un Aumento de Muertes en Actos de Servicio
- 05.17.2019 — Wanted by the FBI: Charles Lee Hill
- 05.13.2019 — FBI, This Week: Violence Against Law Enforcement
- 05.08.2019 — FBI, This Week: Arnoldo Jimenez Added to Ten Most Wanted Fugitives List
- 05.08.2019 — Wanted by the FBI: Arnoldo Jimenez Added to Ten Most Wanted Fugitives List