Dr. Gautam Gupta
October 18, 2011
The FBI needs your help tracking down a well-known doctor who defrauded his patients and their insurance companies out of more than $25 million.
Mollie Halpern: The FBI needs your help tracking down a well-known doctor who defrauded his patients and their insurance companies out of more than $25 million.
I’m Mollie Halpern of the Bureau, and this is Wanted by the FBI. Dr. Gautam Gupta owned five popular weight loss clinics in Chicago where patients were told they could lose weight under the supervision of medical staff. Gupta, however, rarely performed physical examinations on his patients, and most of his staff was unlicensed. Case agent Kory Bakken…
Bakken: But they would actually be the ones who would count the medication, put it in the vials, dispense it to the patients…
Halpern: Gupta and his staff prescribed extremely expensive and unnecessary medical tests for their patients.
Bakken: The problem is he never read the results of the tests. He’s charging up these tests on their insurance, not using the results, and then giving them the medication without having done medical due diligence to make sure that they could take it.
Halpern: Up to $10,000 is available for information leading to Gupta’s location and arrest. Call your local FBI office with tips. To see a description of Gupta, visit www.fbi.gov.
- 08.25.2016 — Wanted by the FBI: Nelio Martin Sotomayor-Sanchez
- 08.25.2016 — FBI, This Week: FBI Launches Bank Robbers Mobile App
- 08.18.2016 — FBI, This Week Podcast: Iris, The FBI's Electronics Detection Canine
- 08.18.2016 — Inside the FBI: Iris, the FBI's Electronics Detection Canine
- 08.11.2016 — Wanted by the FBI: Seeking Information in Disappearance of Sidney Cranston