Welcome to the FBI
Welcome to the FBI and congratulations on accepting a conditional job offer for employment! We judiciously seek employees with your expertise, character, and dedication to fulfill our mission to the nation. The FBI holds high expectations for each employee as we protect and defend the United States against terrorist and foreign intelligence threats and uphold and enforce the criminal laws of the United States.
Please use this page as a portal during the remainder of your hiring process, which will include a full background investigation and, if selected, an orientation program. Please direct any questions that cannot be answered here to your hiring official.
Get to Know the Bureau
It is an exciting time to join the FBI. Our rich history as a premier intelligence and law enforcement agency guides the efforts of all those who carry out the FBI’s mission. Use the links below to learn more about the history, organization, and values of the Bureau.
The Background Investigation
The background investigation begins when you accept a conditional offer of employment and complete the SF-86 and appropriate release forms. These forms, which may take you a few hours to complete, must be completed within 10 business days of receipt of the emailed invitation to access the forms. The investigation includes a security interview; polygraph examination; drug test; fingerprint, credit, and records checks; and extensive interviews with former and current colleagues, neighbors, friends, professors, etc. There are also specific employment requirements that all candidates must meet to be considered for FBI employment. Before completing these forms, please make sure that the do not apply to you.
Select the link below to access the background process forms:
Once you have successfully completed the background process, you will be notified of your orientation date via an appointment letter. The links below provide general information about the FBI’s benefits and what you can expect during the orientation program. In addition, a link is provided for you to fill out benefit/employment forms in advance of your orientation date. It is recommended that you set aside three to four hours to complete this paperwork. Please note: these forms only apply to those who have successfully completed the background process.
Suggested Packing List
Below is a document with suggested items you should consider bringing to the FBI Academy for your orientation program.
Onboarding Forms Checklist
The following forms must be completed prior to your onboarding process. Use these resources to help guide your progress:
- —Forms should remain in the same order as checklist for processing
- , TSP Enrollment Form—Please turn in with the payroll forms
- SF-1199A, Direct Deposit Sign-Up Form with a voided check or financial institution signature
- , Employee Address Form
- , Federal Tax Form/Withholding Allowance
- —Please use your appropriate state tax form
- FBI Employment Agreement
- , Self-Identification of Disability
- , Ethnicity and Race Identification
- , Statement of Military Reserve Obligations/Category
- , Statement of Prior Federal Service
- , Information Concerning Last Federal Employment
- , Employment Eligibility Verification
- (if applicable)
- , Health Benefits Election Form
- , FEGLI Life Insurance Election Form
- , FEGLI Designation of Beneficiary
- , FERS Designation of Beneficiary
- , Unpaid Compensation Designation of Beneficiary
- , Employee Benevolent Fund Application and Beneficiary Designation—Application to be completed and submitted online
- , SAIF/Charles S. Ross Fund Membership/Designation of Beneficiary (Agents Only)
Retirement/Thrift Savings Plan
- , Designation of Beneficiary—Mail directly to TSP
Additional Documentation Furnished by Employee (If Applicable) to be Submitted with Payroll Forms
Prior Federal Service
- Most recent leave and earnings statement (LES)
- SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action
Prior Military Service
- DD-214 (member 4 copy) documenting all active duty service
New Agent Trainees Only Section
- Health Services for New Agent Trainees:
- If you are a current FBI employee transferring to the position of New Agent Trainee, please complete the FD-942 and the FD-253 for submission during your onboarding process. For instructions completing these forms, please utilize the Instruction/Overview link above.
New Intelligence Analyst Trainees Only Section