U.S. Department of the Treasury (DOT)
In 2010, 9 DOT officers were assaulted, and 1 of these officers was injured. The following provides information by agency within the DOT:
- Internal Revenue Service—8 officers were assaulted.
- Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration—1 officer was assaulted and suffered injuries.
Type of activity
At the time of their attacks, officers from the DOT were performing the following activities:
- 5 officers were assigned to office duty.
- 2 officers were making arrests or serving summonses.
- 1 officer was conducting an investigation or search.
- 1 officer was assigned to other duties.
Weapons that were used against the DOT officers during the attacks include the following:
- 2 officers were attacked by persons using vehicles as weapons.
- 1 officer was attacked with a firearm.
- 1 officer was attacked by an assailant using personal weapons, such as hands, fists, or feet.
- 5 officers were attacked with other weapons, not specified.
Law enforcement authorities identified 8 suspects in the assaults on DOT officers.
- Prosecution was declined for 5 suspects.
- 1 suspect was awaiting trial.
- 1 suspect is deceased.
- Prosecution opinion was pending for 1 suspect.