by Region and Geographic Division by Population Group
Number and Rate per 1,000 Inhabitants, 2010
(11,356 cities; population 197,172,429)
(74 cities, 250,000 and over; population 56,581,538)
|Group II (193 cities, 100,000 to 249,999; population 28,908,827)||Group III (437 cities, 50,000 to 99,999; population 29,978,412)||Group IV (812 cities, 25,000 to 49,999; population 27,951,300)||Group V (1,853 cities, 10,000 to 24,999; population 29,350,253)||Group VI (7,987 cities, under 10,000; population 24,402,099)||
|County2 (3,388 agencies; population 94,242,165)||Total city and county agencies||
|Suburban Areas3 (7,675 agencies; population 124,334,967)|
|TOTAL||Number of employees||577,677||201,067||68,705||65,955||62,927||69,615||109,408||11,356||197,172,429||435,931||14,744||291,414,594||469,656|
|Average number of employees per 1,000 inhabitants||2.9||3.6||2.4||2.2||2.3||2.4||4.5||4.6||3.8|
|NORTHEAST||Number of employees||149,760||63,818||9,577||15,425||18,498||19,902||22,540||2,648||44,886,743|
|Average number of employees per 1,000 inhabitants||3.3||5.6||3.3||2.5||2.3||2.1||3.3|
|NEW ENGLAND||Number of employees||34,296||2,680||4,596||5,797||6,966||7,445||6,812||808||12,956,907|
|Average number of employees per 1,000 inhabitants||2.6||4.2||3.2||2.3||2.2||2.2||3.7|
|MIDDLE ATLANTIC||Number of employees||115,464||61,138||4,981||9,628||11,532||12,457||15,728||1,840||31,929,836|
|Average number of employees per 1,000 inhabitants||3.6||5.7||3.4||2.6||2.3||2.1||3.2|
|MIDWEST||Number of employees||116,895||33,118||9,134||13,651||16,125||19,021||25,846||3,374||44,558,939|
|Average number of employees per 1,000 inhabitants||2.6||3.6||2.2||1.9||2.0||2.2||3.4|
|EAST NORTH CENTRAL||Number of employees||83,756||25,293||5,872||9,547||12,593||13,780||16,671||2,141||31,209,169|
|Average number of employees per 1,000 inhabitants||2.7||3.9||2.2||2.0||2.1||2.2||3.4|
|WEST NORTH CENTRAL||Number of employees||33,139||7,825||3,262||4,104||3,532||5,241||9,175||1,233||13,349,770|
|Average number of employees per 1,000 inhabitants||2.5||3.0||2.2||1.7||1.9||2.2||3.5|
|SOUTH||Number of employees||195,386||54,420||30,309||20,475||18,723||23,586||47,873||3,922||58,174,704|
|Average number of employees per 1,000 inhabitants||3.4||3.2||2.7||2.7||2.8||3.0||6.3|
|SOUTH ATLANTIC||Number of employees||90,964||21,951||15,450||11,567||8,577||10,772||22,647||1,634||23,617,349|
|Average number of employees per 1,000 inhabitants||3.9||4.1||2.9||3.0||3.1||3.2||7.7|
|EAST SOUTH CENTRAL||Number of employees||34,395||7,127||4,584||2,350||4,478||5,582||10,274||972||9,987,963|
|Average number of employees per 1,000 inhabitants||3.4||2.9||3.3||3.0||2.8||3.1||5.3|
|WEST SOUTH CENTRAL||Number of employees||70,027||25,342||10,275||6,558||5,668||7,232||14,952||1,316||24,569,392|
|Average number of employees per 1,000 inhabitants||2.9||2.7||2.3||2.2||2.4||2.7||5.5|
|WEST||Number of employees||115,636||49,711||19,685||16,404||9,581||7,106||13,149||1,412||49,552,043|
|Average number of employees per 1,000 inhabitants||2.3||2.6||1.8||1.8||1.9||2.1||5.2|
|MOUNTAIN||Number of employees||41,906||17,164||6,867||5,034||3,673||2,663||6,505||634||16,079,899|
|Average number of employees per 1,000 inhabitants||2.6||2.8||2.1||2.0||2.0||2.4||5.0|
|PACIFIC||Number of employees||73,730||32,547||12,818||11,370||5,908||4,443||6,644||778||33,472,144|
|Average number of employees per 1,000 inhabitants||2.2||2.5||1.7||1.7||1.8||2.0||5.5|
- 1 Full-time law enforcement employees include civilians.
- 2 The designation county is a combination of both metropolitan and nonmetropolitan counties.
- 3 Suburban areas include law enforcement agencies in cities with less than 50,000 inhabitants and county law enforcement agencies that are within a Metropolitan Statistical Area (see Data Declaration). Suburban areas exclude all metropolitan agencies associated with a principal city. The agencies associated with suburban areas also appear in other groups within this table.
Provides the methodology used in constructing this table and other pertinent information about this table.
Full-time Law Enforcement Employees by Region and Geographic Division by Population Group, Number and Rate per 1,000 Inhabitants, 2010
- In 2010, U.S. cities reported an average of 2.9 full-time law enforcement employees, including both sworn officers and civilians, per 1,000 inhabitants.
- In cities in the Northeast, the rate of full-time law enforcement employees was 3.3 per 1,000 inhabitants.
- The rate of full-time law enforcement employees in cities in the South was 3.4 per 1,000 inhabitants.
- In cities in the Midwest, the rate of full-time law enforcement employees was 2.6 per 1,000 inhabitants.
- The rate of full-time law enforcement employees in cities in the West was 2.3 per 1,000 inhabitants.