by Region and Geographic Division by Population Group
Number and Rate per 1,000 Inhabitants, 2010
(11,356 cities; population 197,172,429)
(74 cities, 250,000 and over; population 56,581,538)
|Group II (193 cities, 100,000 to 249,999; population 28,908,827)||Group III (437 cities, 50,000 to 99,999; population 29,978,412||Group IV (812 cities, 25,000 to 49,999; population 27,951,300)||Group V (1,853 cities, 10,000 to 24,999; population 29,350,253)||Group VI (7,987 cities, under 10,000; population 24,402,099)||
|County1 (3,388 agencies; population 94,242,165)||Total city and county agencies||
|Suburban Areas2 (7,675 agencies; population 124,334,967)|
|TOTAL||Number of officers||448,905||154,306||52,541||51,072||49,883||55,959||85,144||11,356||197,172,429||256,104||14,744||291,414,594||307,593|
|Average number of officers per 1,000 inhabitants||2.3||2.7||1.8||1.7||1.8||1.9||3.5||2.7||2.5|
|NORTHEAST||Number of officers||118,708||46,608||8,134||12,850||15,536||16,808||18,772||2,648||44,886,743|
|Average number of officers per 1,000 inhabitants||2.6||4.1||2.8||2.1||1.9||1.8||2.8|
|NEW ENGLAND||Number of officers||28,236||2,094||3,910||4,941||5,784||6,051||5,456||808||12,956,907|
|Average number of officers per 1,000 inhabitants||2.2||3.3||2.7||2.0||1.9||1.8||2.9|
|MIDDLE ATLANTIC||Number of officers||90,472||44,514||4,224||7,909||9,752||10,757||13,316||1,840||31,929,836|
|Average number of officers per 1,000 inhabitants||2.8||4.1||2.9||2.1||1.9||1.8||2.7|
|MIDWEST||Number of officers||96,472||28,645||7,375||10,990||12,841||15,398||21,223||3,374||44,558,939|
|Average number of officers per 1,000 inhabitants||2.2||3.1||1.8||1.6||1.6||1.8||2.8|
|EAST NORTH CENTRAL||Number of officers||69,972||22,662||4,816||7,692||10,037||11,181||13,584||2,141||31,209,169|
|Average number of officers per 1,000 inhabitants||2.2||3.5||1.8||1.6||1.6||1.8||2.8|
|WEST NORTH CENTRAL||Number of officers||26,500||5,983||2,559||3,298||2,804||4,217||7,639||1,233||13,349,770|
|Average number of officers per 1,000 inhabitants||2.0||2.3||1.7||1.4||1.5||1.7||2.9|
|SOUTH||Number of officers||150,276||42,513||23,265||15,688||14,579||18,410||35,821||3,922||58,174,704|
|Average number of officers per 1,000 inhabitants||2.6||2.5||2.1||2.1||2.2||2.4||4.7|
|SOUTH ATLANTIC||Number of officers||69,799||16,494||11,883||8,857||6,779||8,591||17,195||1,634||23,617,349|
|Average number of officers per 1,000 inhabitants||3.0||3.1||2.2||2.3||2.4||2.6||5.9|
|EAST SOUTH CENTRAL||Number of officers||27,158||5,902||3,464||1,808||3,577||4,357||8,050||972||9,987,963|
|Average number of officers per 1,000 inhabitants||2.7||2.4||2.5||2.3||2.3||2.4||4.1|
|WEST SOUTH CENTRAL||Number of officers||53,319||20,117||7,918||5,023||4,223||5,462||10,576||1,316||24,569,392|
|Average number of officers per 1,000 inhabitants||2.2||2.1||1.8||1.7||1.8||2.0||3.9|
|WEST||Number of officers||83,449||36,540||13,767||11,544||6,927||5,343||9,328||1,412||49,552,043|
|Average number of officers per 1,000 inhabitants||1.7||1.9||1.3||1.3||1.4||1.6||3.7|
|MOUNTAIN||Number of officers||29,586||11,724||4,886||3,558||2,702||2,026||4,690||634||16,079,899|
|Average number of officers per 1,000 inhabitants||1.8||1.9||1.5||1.4||1.5||1.8||3.6|
|PACIFIC||Number of officers||53,863||24,816||8,881||7,986||4,225||3,317||4,638||778||33,472,144|
|Average number of officers per 1,000 inhabitants||1.6||1.9||1.2||1.2||1.3||1.5||3.8|
- 1 The designation county is a combination of both metropolitan and nonmetropolitan counties.
- 2 Suburban areas include law enforcement agencies in cities with less than 50,000 inhabitants and county law enforcement agencies that are within a Metropolitan Statistical Area (see Data Declaration). Suburban areas exclude all metropolitan agencies associated with a principal city. The agencies associated with suburban areas also appear in other groups within this table.
Provides the methodology used in constructing this table and other pertinent information about this table.
Full-time Law Enforcement Officers, by Region and Geographic Division by Population Group, Number and Rate per 1,000 Inhabitants, 2010
- In the Nation’s cities in 2010, the average number of full-time law enforcement officers was 2.3 per 1,000 residents.
- In cities in the Northeast, the rate of full-time law enforcement officers per 1,000 inhabitants was 2.6.
- In cities in the South, the rate of full-time law enforcement officers per 1,000 inhabitants was 2.6.
- In cities in the Midwest, the rate of full-time law enforcement officers per 1,000 residents was 2.2.
- In cities in the West, the rate of full-time law enforcement officers per 1,000 inhabitants was 1.7.