San Juan Community Outreach
San Juan Community Outreach
|Special Agent Harry Rodriguez during an outreach event.|
San Juan, like each of the FBI’s local field offices, has a community outreach program that complements and strengthens our many efforts to protect you, your businesses, and your families in concrete ways through a range of activities and initiatives.
San Juan’s Community Outreach Program has been involved in several activities. The mission of the FBI’s community outreach is to provide a comprehensive program that deals with multiple interrelated societal problems, including crime, drugs, gangs, and violence, in support of the FBI’s investigative mission. FBI employees have joined in this national movement, volunteering in a wide variety of community-related efforts. The FBI focuses its community outreach efforts in three areas: the community, schools, and the workplace.
Our recent activities include:
- In the spring of 2012, we held our latest Citizens’ Academy, bringing together a cross section of community leaders to learn firsthand about our operations and programs, not only demystifying our work but creating new contacts and channels for working together and sharing information. The academy gives business, civic, religious, and community leaders, as well as media executives, the opportunity to find out how the FBI “does business.”
- In April, Director Robert Mueller presented the 2012 Director’s Leadership Award to the anti-violence organization Basta Ya Puerto Rico.
Among our other ongoing efforts:
- Sending our special agents and other personnel from the FBI into schools, businesses, and civic meetings to explain emerging crime and security threats, as well as to provide specific advice on how to prevent being victimized by these threats.
- Supporting the graduates of our Citizens’ Academies, who often band together in local alumni chapters to create crime prevention programs and other initiatives that benefit communities.
- Partnering with the American Football Coaches Association and its National Child Identification Program to distribute Child ID kits at community outreach events.
For More Information
Contact the FBI San Juan Community Outreach Coordinator, Special Agent Harry Rodriguez, at (787) 759-1550 (office), or send your request on official letterhead in writing to FBI San Juan, Attention: Community Outreach Program, P.O. Box 366269, San Juan, PR 00936-6269, or fax it to (787) 759-1549. Please note all written requests should be submitted with at least three tentative dates and with 45 days advance notification prior to the requested outreach activity.
Visit our national In Your Community website for more information about our overall outreach efforts and our work in other local FBI offices.