In this complex, globalized, post 9/11 world, our operational partnerships have never been more important to our efforts to protect your communities.
Today, we work with colleagues at every level of government—local, state, federal, even international—across the law enforcement, intelligence, and first responder communities. We lead and take part in multi-agency task forces, intelligence groups and fusion centers, and public and private sector alliances. A number of our partners literally sit shoulder-to-shoulder with us in FBI space, just as we share our agents and analysts with other agencies. We work closely on joint investigations—sometimes taking the lead, sometimes taking a back seat to others, sometimes contributing equally among many agencies. Our work with our colleagues, in fact, is so intertwined today that it’s often nearly impossible to separate the contributions of one agency—and one nation—from the next.
In San Juan, our major partnerships include:
- The San Juan Joint Terrorism Task Force and the U.S. Virgin Islands Joint Terrorism Task Force bring together representatives from local, state, and federal agencies to run down any and all terrorism leads, develop and investigate cases, provide support for special events, and proactively identify threats that may impact the area and the nation.
- The San Juan Field Intelligence Group is a team of FBI agents and analysts who provide a full range of intelligence support on terrorism, cyber, and criminal threats to law enforcement and intelligence partners within its area of responsibility.
- We participate in the FBI Counterintelligence Strategic Partnership Program, which builds relationships between private industry, academia, government agencies, the FBI, and its counterintelligence community partners to identify and protect projects of great importance to the U.S. government.
- The San Juan Division has an that is the local arm of a national information-sharing alliance between private industry, academia, and government focused on protecting the nation’s critical infrastructures against foreign or domestic attack. It supports all FBI investigative programs, especially counterterrorism, counterintelligence, and cyber crime.
- We also lead or take part in several major partnerships targeting violent crime:
- Our San Juan Violent Crimes Task Force combines detectives from the Puerto Rico Police Department and our special agents to pool expertise and resources in targeting violent criminals of all kinds.
- Our Safe Streets Task Force in San Juan combines with the Puerto Rico Police Department, the Puerto Rico Department of Corrections, the San Juan Police Department, and the U.S. Bureau of Prisons to investigate violent street gangs. As a result of the task force’s continued efforts, multiple violent gangs have been dismantled.