Our People and Capabilities
Our People and Capabilities
Our people in Pittsburgh possess a mix of talents and experience that enable us to help protect you, your families, and your workplaces from a full range of national security threats and major crime problems.
Our employees include not only special agents, but also a variety of specialized professionals such as intelligence and financial analysts, investigative specialists, support services technicians, language specialists, paralegals, electronics technicians, and security experts.
Specialized Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) team trainin
Our strength lies in our investigations—the very heart of our operations—and in the collection, analysis, and sharing of intelligence that drives and supports those investigations both locally and nationally. In every case, we work to objectively gather the facts and to develop evidence that can stand up in a court of law. To do that, we can interview witnesses, run undercover operations, analyze financial records, map and manage crime scenes, develop informants, make arrests, conduct surveillance, and gather information and intelligence from around the globe. Our cases today are often complex and multi-faceted, involving a range of public and private sector partners and covering multiple jurisdictions.
Among our specialized capabilities:
- Evidence recovery and processing: The Pittsburgh Evidence Response Team (ERT) is made up of FBI personnel located in Pennsylvania and West Virginia. Each member of the team has received specialized training in crime scene management as well as crime scene forensics. The team routinely responds to federal crime scenes in the Pittsburgh Division's territory. It has also been called upon to respond to terrorist acts across the country, including the 9/11 attacks. When requested, the ERT assists local law enforcement departments, providing expertise, manpower, and specialized equipment not always available to local departments. The team also trains with state and local law enforcement departments on wide-ranging topics, including crime scene management, crime scene forensic techniques, and interagency cooperation in the event of a large-scale terrorist event.
- Computer forensics: We also have a Computer Analysis and Response Team, or CART, that applies this same evidentiary concept to the digital world. These forensic examiners are experts at retrieving evidence from a vast array of digital devices, at processing that evidence in a way that maintains its integrity for use in court, and at presenting the results of their findings to investigators.
- Bomb recovery and analysis: We have two special agent bomb technicians in Pittsburgh who can test and render safe a variety of explosive devices. They respond to calls of suspicious packages or objects and are deployed during bombing investigations, often working closely with our local and state police bomb squads and the Joint Terrorism Task Forces. They gather diagnostic information from the explosives that may be relayed as vital intelligence to local investigators and to the national Terrorist Explosive Device Analytical Center. Our bomb techs often work and train with local first responders and law enforcement.
- Hazardous materials: We have a Hazardous Materials Response Team made up of hazmat certified operators—both agent and non-agent personnel—with expertise in the collection of hazardous materials used in a crime or terrorist attack (chemical, biological, or radiological). The team provides support for real time threat assessments at special events across the country and provides training to many of our international partners. This team works and trains in concert with local responders and with Weapons of Mass Destruction experts at FBI Headquarters.
- Translation: Our group of language specialists can translate written documents and audio files in a variety of languages for terrorism, espionage, and criminal cases. They also join agents on cases, translating during live interviews and even during undercover operations.
For more information on FBI and its capabilities, see our About Us webpage.