Norfolk Citizens Academy
Applications for the FBI Norfolk Citizens Academy are Now Being Accepted
Background: The FBI Norfolk Field Office began its Citizens Academy Program in 2004 to develop and enhance the relationship between the FBI and citizens of Norfolk and outlying communities. Since 2004 (with the exception of 2005), Norfolk has held one Citizens Academy each year.
Academy Mission: The Citizens Academy is a stimulating program that gives business, religious, civic, and community leaders an inside look at the FBI. The program provides participants with insight into the FBI and its mission through a series of presentations, demonstrations, discussions, and practical exercises. This interaction promotes a greater understanding by the community of the various functions, responsibilities, and accomplishments of the FBI. In addition, the Citizens Academy fosters a greater partnership between the FBI and the communities it serves.
Academy Goal: To seek applicants who:
- Have demonstrated an ability and willingness to serve their community through professional or civic service;
- Will be fully engaged during class presentations, discussions, practical exercises; and demonstrations, and
- Will partner with the FBI’s community outreach program to foster a greater partnership between the FBI and the community.
Application Requirements: Potential candidates for the Citizens Academy may include business, civic, religious, or community leaders who meet the following criteria:
- Must be at least 21 years of age;
- Must live or work within the jurisdiction of the FBI Norfolk Field Office;
- Must have no prior felony convictions;
- Must have no misdemeanor arrests within one year of application;
- Must pass a security check assessment; and
- Must be available to attend at least six of the eight academy sessions.
- Complete the application, attaching additional sheets as necessary, and submit electronically. The application can be found here.
- The field office will review all applications received.
- All applicants will be notified as to whether they have been selected to attend.
- Applications will be accepted until the close of business December 31, 2013.
Most sessions will be held at the Norfolk Field Office from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., with the exception of the Range Day, which will be held at a local police department range, and the trip to the FBI Academy in Quantico, Virginia.
Special Agent Mike Freeman, email@example.com
Administrative Specialist Pat Bunting, firstname.lastname@example.org
Attn: Training & Development Office
509 Resource Row
Chesapeake, VA 23320