Central Coast Bandit Linked to Bank Robbery in Pismo Beach
|FBI Los Angeles August 14, 2013|
The FBI continues to seek the public’s assistance in learning the identity of a serial bank robber known as the “Central Coast Bandit,” believed to be responsible for multiple bank robberies along California’s Central Coast, including one today, August 14, 2013, in Pismo Beach at approximately 3:00 p.m. During today’s robbery, the suspect advised a victim bank employee that she needed to cash a check and then proceeded to pass a note demanding cash. Today’s robbery marks the sixth bank robbery linked to the suspect since December 2012 along the Central Coast and cities north, including today’s. The suspect has also been linked to an incident in which a female was described by witnesses as having “cased” a bank. The FBI and law enforcement in San Luis Obispo, Monterey, and Stanislaus Counties are conducting a joint investigation. During the robberies, the suspect enters the bank and presents a demand note to the victim teller. She has been seen bank surveillance photos wearing eyeglasses, a variety of hats, and casual clothing. In some of the robberies, the suspect has indicated she may be working with other individuals located outside the bank. No other suspects have been described by witnesses at this time. The Central Coast Bandit is further described as an Hispanic or white female, with dark hair, between 5’5”-5’6” tall, 150-160 lbs., and between 35-45 years old. The suspect has been seen carrying a pistol during some of the robberies and, according to witness accounts, has been seen leaving bank robberies in what has been described as either a gray sedan or gold-colored SUV.
The Central Coast Bandit has been linked to the following bank robberies/casing:
- December 31, 2012: Monterey Credit Union at 161 Fountain St., Pacific Grove, Monterey County
- February 14, 2013: Pacific Western 7035 at El Camino Real, Atascadero, San Luis Obispo County
- February 14, 2013: Chase at 8055 El Camino Real, Atascadero, San Luis Obispo County (casing only)
- June 27, 2013: Coast Hills Federal Credit Union at 532 W. Tefft St., Nipomo, San Luis Obispo County
- July 16, 2013: Golden One Federal Credit Union at 128 Niblick St., Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo County
- July 18, 2013: Farmers Merchants at 1700 McHenry Ave., Modesto, Stanislaus County
- August 14, 2013: Pacific Western Bank at 831 Oak Park Blvd., Pismo Beach, San Luis Obispo
Anyone with information about the identity or whereabouts of the suspect is urged to contact their nearest FBI office or dial 911.
Bank surveillance photographs of the Central Coast Bandit are being provided to the media. Additional information about bank robbers currently wanted by the FBI’s Los Angeles Division can be found at www.labankrobbers.org.
This investigation is being conducted by detectives and officers with the Atascadero Police Department; the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Department; the Paso Robles Police Department; the Pacific Grove Police Department; the Modesto Police Department; the Pismo Beach Police Department; and agents with the Federal Bureau of Investigation.