Los Angeles Community Outreach
Los Angeles, like each of the FBI’s local field offices, has a community outreach program that complements and strengthens our many efforts to protect you, your businesses, and your families in concrete ways through a range of activities and initiatives.
Our recent activities include:
- Our annual 2012 Director’s Community Leadership Award recipient is the National Council of Jewish Women/Los Angeles, a grassroots organization of volunteers and advocates who turn progressive ideas into action. Inspired by Jewish values, the NCJW strives for social justice by improving the quality of life for women, children, and families and by safeguarding individual rights and freedoms.
Citizens Academy student takes weapons training
Among our other ongoing efforts:
- Meeting with minority groups and civic organizations to talk about what the FBI can do with them and for them and hosting town hall meetings as needed to discuss key issues;
FBI Citizens Academy Alumni briefing kids in school.
- Supporting the graduates of our Citizens Academies, who often band together in local alumni chapters to create crime prevention programs and other initiatives that benefit communities;
- Serving on committees and boards for businesses, schools, community groups, and social and health services and launching drives to bring food, gifts, and toys to the less fortunate during the holidays and other times of the year;
- Encouraging citizens to step forward to report crime and serve as witnesses in court;
- Participating in “Red Ribbon Week,” which educates kids and adults alike on the dangers of drugs and alcohol and encourages them to wear red ribbons as a sign of their commitment to stay drug free;
Parachute demonstration at the American Heroes Air Show
- Sponsoring an annual National Night Out in partnership with local and federal agencies to help communities in the greater Los Angeles area promote crime prevention and police-community partnerships; and
- Participating in the Special Olympics of Southern California, the annual American Heroes Air Show, and other programs and events in the community.
- Participating in Operation DREAM, which was established in 2009 by Special Agent George Olivo and his family to provide food and other services to the poor in the Dominican Republic and in Haiti after the devastating earthquake there in early 2010. Many FBI employees in the Los Angeles office, as well as members of the community, have donated time and money in support of the organization. To date, Operation DREAM has delivered 16,000 pounds of food and supplies to the Dominican Republic. Many contributions have also been made to Haitian residents.
|Dominican Republic Emergency Aid Mission|
Visit our national In Your Community website for more information about our overall outreach efforts and our work in other local FBI offices.