In this complex, globalized, post 9/11 world, our operational partnerships have never been more important to our efforts to protect your communities.
Today, we work with colleagues at every level of government—local, state, federal, even international—across the law enforcement, intelligence, and first responder communities. We lead and take part in multi-agency task forces, intelligence groups and fusion centers, and public and private sector alliances. A number of our partners literally sit shoulder-to-shoulder with us in FBI space, just as we share our agents and analysts with other agencies. We work closely on joint investigations—sometimes taking the lead, sometimes taking a back seat to others, sometimes contributing equally among many agencies. Our work with our colleagues, in fact, is so intertwined today that it’s often nearly impossible to separate the contributions of one agency—and one nation—from the next.
In Jackson, our major partnerships include:
- The Mississippi Joint Terrorism Task Force (JTTF) brings together representatives of 10 local, state, and federal agencies to run down any and all terrorism leads, develop and investigate cases, provide support for special events, and proactively identify threats that may impact the area and the nation. The JTTF is headquartered in Jackson, but some members are assigned to the resident agencies in Columbus, Gulfport, Hattiesburg, Pascagoula, Oxford, Southaven, and Tupelo.
- The Jackson Field Intelligence Group, a team of FBI agents and analysts who provide a full range of intelligence support on terrorism and criminal threats, combines with the state intelligence fusion center—the Mississippi Analysis and Information Center (MSAIC)—which supports law enforcement and intelligence partners in Mississippi’s 82 counties.
- The Jackson Division participates in the FBI Strategic Partnerships Program, a national partnership between private industry, academia, government agencies, the FBI, and its counterintelligence community partners to identify and protect projects of great importance to the U.S. government.
- To battle cyber crime, we have a number of key partnerships:
- We participate in the Mississippi Cyber Crimes Fusion Center, which investigates computer/high-technology crimes, telecommunications fraud, crimes against children, and identity thefts and assists with the recovery/analysis of digital evidence.
- The is the local arm of a national information-sharing alliance between private industry, academia, and government focused on protecting critical national infrastructures in both the online and offline worlds.
- We also lead or take part in several major partnerships targeting violent crime:
- Our Jackson Violent Crimes Task Force combines detectives from the Hinds and Rankin County Sheriff Departments, the Jackson Police Department, the Mississippi Bureau of Narcotics, and our special agents to pool expertise and resources in targeting street gangs and violent criminals of all kinds.
- We lead the Southeast Mississippi Safe Streets Task Force, which is based out of our Pascagoula Resident Agency.