Conditions and Prohibitions Regarding Use of the FBI Anti-Piracy Warning (APW) Seal
Conditions and Prohibitions Regarding Use of the
FBI Anti-Piracy Warning (APW) Seal
The following conditions of use are specified in 41 CFR Section 128-1.5009(e):
- The APW Seal shall only be used on copyrighted works subject to protection under U.S. Criminal Code provisions such as those in Title 18, U.S. Code, Sections 2319, 2319A, and 2319B.
- The APW Seal shall only be used immediately adjacent to the authorized warning language. “Authorized warning language” refers to the language set forth below in paragraph (a) of this section, or alternative language specifically authorized in writing for this purpose by the Director of the FBI or his or her designee and posted on the FBI’s official public Internet website (http://www.fbi.gov). Except as authorized pursuant to paragraph (1) of the prohibitions regarding use of the APW Seal, the APW Seal and authorized warning language shall be enclosed by a plain box border at all times that other text or images appear on the same screen or page.
- The unauthorized reproduction or distribution of a copyrighted work is illegal. Criminal copyright infringement, including infringement without monetary gain, is investigated by the FBI and is punishable by fines and federal imprisonment.
- The APW Seal image must be obtained from the FBI’s official public Internet website (http://www.fbi.gov). The APW Seal image shall not be animated or altered except that it may be rendered in outline, black and white, or grayscale.
- In programming or reproducing the APW Seal in or on a work, users are encouraged to employ industry-recognized copyright anti-circumvention or copy protection techniques to discourage copying of the FBI APW Seal, except that such techniques need not be used if no other content or advertising programmed into the same work on the same media utilizes such copyright anti-circumvention or copy protection techniques.
Prohibitions Regarding Use of the APW Seal
The following prohibitions are specified in 41 CFR Section 128-1.5009(f):
- The APW Seal shall not be used in a manner indicating FBI approval, authorization, or endorsement of any communication other than the authorized warning language. No other text or image that appears on the same screen, page, package, etc., as the APW Seal or authorized warning language shall reference, contradict, or be displayed in a manner that appears to be associated with, the APW Seal or authorized warning language, except as authorized in writing by the Director of the FBI or his or her designee and posted on the FBI’s official public Internet website (http://www.fbi.gov).
- The APW Seal shall not be used on any work whose production, sale, public presentation, or distribution by mail or in or affecting interstate commerce would violate the laws of the United States including, but not limited to, those protecting intellectual property and those prohibiting child pornography and obscenity.
- The APW Seal shall not be forwarded or copied except as necessary to display it on an eligible work.
- The APW Seal shall not be used in any manner:
- Indicating that the FBI has approved, authorized, or endorsed any work, product, production, or private entity, including the work on which it appears;
- Indicating that the FBI has determined that a particular work or portion thereof is entitled to protection of the law; or,
- Indicating that any item or communication, except as provided herein, originated from, on behalf of, or in coordination with the FBI, whether for enforcement purposes, education, or otherwise.
□ I have read and understand the terms and conditions as specified in 41 CFR Section 128-1.5009.