Through the years FBI agents, analysts, and other personnel overseas have made major contributions to solving cases, disabling worldwide terrorist and criminal networks, bringing fugitives to justice, and ensuring the safety of global events. Here is a small sampling of their accomplishments:
- Legat Beijing coordinated the FBI’s role in the 2008 Summer Olympic Games.
- Legat Tbilisi was intimately involved during the investigation into the attempted assassination of President George W. Bush during a speech in 2005.
- In the wake of the tsunami of 2004, the International Operations Division played a crucial role in facilitating FBI involvement throughout Southeast Asia, providing various forms of humanitarian and laboratory support.
- Legat Madrid provided investigative assistance following the string of bombings in 2004 on mass transit systems in Spain.
- Legat Jakarta collaborated with Indonesian law enforcement partners during the investigation of the Bali nightclub bombing in 2002.
- The International Operations Division and Legat Nairobi coordinated the deployment of FBI personnel in the aftermath of the 1998 U.S. Embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania.
For more examples, see our international story index.