Crime in the United States
by Community Type, 2011
|United States Total||311,591,917||1,203,564||14,612||83,425||354,396||751,131||9,063,173||2,188,005||6,159,795||715,373|
|Rate per 100,000 inhabitants||386.3||4.7||26.8||113.7||241.1||2,908.7||702.2||1,976.9||229.6|
|Metropolitan Statistical Area||260,215,678|
|Area actually reporting2||98.8%||1,059,804||12,703||66,574||336,567||643,960||7,747,779||1,828,333||5,265,628||653,818|
|Rate per 100,000 inhabitants||410.3||4.9||26.4||129.9||249.1||3,004.8||708.6||2,043.5||252.7|
|Cities outside metropolitan areas||20,555,101|
|Area actually reporting2||92.3%||72,724||830||7,521||10,565||53,808||682,496||155,484||500,878||26,134|
|Rate per 100,000 inhabitants||382.1||4.4||40.7||56.0||281.0||3,596.6||821.7||2,638.5||136.4|
|Area actually reporting2||93.1%||53,500||895||5,781||4,369||42,455||466,571||161,955||276,760||27,856|
|Rate per 100,000 inhabitants||186.1||3.1||20.7||15.5||146.8||1,638.6||568.4||973.3||96.9|
- 1 Population figures are U.S. Census Bureau provisional estimates as of July 1, 2011.
- 2 The percentage reported under "Area actually reporting" is based on the population covered by agencies providing 3 months or more of crime reports to the FBI.
- NOTE: Although arson data are included in the trend and clearance tables, sufficient data are not available to estimate totals for this offense. Therefore, no arson data are published in this table.
Provides the methodology used in constructing this table and other pertinent information about this table.
Crime in the United States, by Community Type, 2011
- In 2011, the violent crime rate in the United States was 386.3 per 100,000 inhabitants.
- In Metropolitan Statistical Areas, the violent crime rate was 410.3 per 100,000 inhabitants.
- The violent crime rate was 382.1 per 100,000 inhabitants in cities outside metropolitan areas; the violent crime rate was 186.1 per 100,000 inhabitants in nonmetropolitan counties.
- The murder rate in the United States was 4.7 offenses per 100,000 inhabitants in 2011.
- The murder rate in Metropolitan Statistical Areas was 4.9 per 100,000 inhabitants.
- The murder rates in cities outside metropolitan areas and in nonmetropolitan counties were 4.4 per 100,000 inhabitants and 3.1 per 100,000 in population, respectively.
- The property crime rate in the United States was 2,908.7 per 100,000 inhabitants in 2011.
- In Metropolitan Statistical Areas, the property crime rate was 3,004.8 per 100,000 inhabitants.
- The property crime rate was 3,596.6 per 100,000 inhabitants in cities outside metropolitan areas; the property crime rate was 1,638.6 per 100,000 inhabitants in nonmetropolitan counties.