Submitting an Identity History Summary to the FBI
Submitting an Identity History Summary Request to the FBI
- If the request is for a couple, family, etc., all persons must sign the form.
- Include your complete mailing address. Please provide your telephone number and/or e-mail address, if available.
Note: Due to automation of the mail process, tentatively scheduled for January 12, 2015, the FBI will no longer provide Identity History Summary results on blue security paper. All responses will be processed on standard white paper. Additionally, the FBI will no longer accept return self-addressed envelopes with Departmental Order requests. This includes pre-paid Priority Mail, FedEx account numbers, United Parcel Service, etc., foreign postage coupons, and requests to forward correspondence to the Department of State for the apostille process. Envelopes received will be destroyed. The FBI will return all results, both foreign and domestic, by First-Class Mail via the U.S. Postal Service. Thank you for your patience as we try to streamline our processes to improve our service to you.
Step 2: Obtain a set of your fingerprints.
- Provide the original fingerprint card. Previously processed cards or copies will not be accepted.
- Your name and date of birth must be provided on the fingerprint card. Fingerprints should be placed on a commonly used for applicant or law enforcement purposes. The FBI will accept FD-258 fingerprint cards on standard white paper stock.
- Include rolled impressions of all 10 fingerprints and impressions of all 10 fingerprints taken simultaneously (these are sometimes referred to as plain or flat impressions).
- If possible, have your fingerprints taken by a fingerprinting technician. This service may be available at a law enforcement agency.
- Fingerprints taken with ink or via live scan are acceptable.
- To ensure the most legible prints possible, refer to the . If fingerprints are not legible, the fingerprint card will be rejected. This could cause delays in processing and could also result in additional fees.
Note: The name on your response letter will match the name indicated on the fingerprint card. Also, if the last four digits of your social security number is needed on your response letter, then please ensure your full nine-digit social security number is on the fingerprint card when submitting your request.
Step 3: Submit payment.
- Option 1: Pay by credit card using the . Don’t forget to include the expiration date of the credit card that you are using.
- Option 2: Obtain a money order or certified check for $18 U.S. dollars made payable to the Treasury of the United States. Please be sure to sign where required.
- Important note: Cash, personal checks, or business checks WILL NOT be accepted and sending any of these will delay processing of your request.
- Payment must be for the exact amount.
- If the request is for a couple, family, etc., include $18 for each person.
- If the request is for multiple copies per person, include $18 for each copy requested.
- The FBI will not accept additional payment to expedite your request.
Step 5: Mail the required items listed above—signed applicant information form, fingerprint card, and payment of $18 U.S. dollars for each person or copy requested—to the following address:
FBI CJIS Division – Summary Request
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg, WV 26306